Phi Phi Islands in Thailand are a true paradise for tourists looking for stunning natural beauty, crystal clear waters, and unforgettable experiences. This archipelago, located in the Andaman Sea, is composed of six islands that offer travelers a wide range of activities to do and places to explore. Whether you’re a beach lover or an adventure seeker, there’s something for everyone on Phi Phi Islands. In this article, we will share with you seven things that you simply can’t miss when visiting this amazing destination. So pack your bags, grab your sunscreen and let’s get ready to discover the best of Phi Phi Islands!
Top 7 Things to do in Phi Phi Islands
Phi Phi Islands is a popular tourist destination in Thailand that offers a wide range of activities to do for tourists. Here are the top 7 things to do in Phi Phi Islands:
- Explore the Maya Bay: This stunning bay was made famous by the movie “The Beach” starring Leonardo DiCaprio. It’s a must-visit spot for anyone traveling to Phi Phi Islands. You can take a boat tour or rent a kayak to explore the bay and its crystal-clear waters.
- Go island hopping: There are several islands around Phi Phi Islands that you can visit on a day trip. Some of the most popular ones include Bamboo Island, Mosquito Island, and Hin Klang. Each island has its own unique charm and beauty.
- Snorkeling and Diving: The waters around Phi Phi Islands are home to an abundance of marine life, making it a great spot for snorkeling and diving. You can rent snorkeling gear or join a diving tour to explore the underwater world.
- Visit Monkey Beach: As the name suggests, this beach is home to playful monkeys that you can observe from afar or feed with bananas (but be careful!). It’s also a great spot for swimming and snorkeling.
- Experience nightlife in Tonsai Village: Tonsai Village is the main hub of activity in Phi Phi Islands and is known for its vibrant nightlife scene. There are plenty of bars, clubs, and restaurants where you can enjoy drinks, music, and good food.
- Try Thai Food at Local Restaurants: Thai cuisine is known for its bold flavors and fresh ingredients. There are plenty of local restaurants in Phi Phi Islands where you can try authentic Thai dishes such as pad thai, green curry, tom yum soup, and more.
- Relax on the Beaches: Last but not least, don’t forget to take some time to simply relax and soak up the sun on the beautiful beaches of Phi Phi Islands. Some of the most popular ones include Long Beach, Loh Dalum Bay, and Ao Ton Sai.
Overall, Phi Phi Islands is a paradise for beach lovers and adventure seekers alike. With so many things to do and see, it’s no wonder why it’s one of the top tourist destinations in Thailand.
1. Explore the Maya Bay
Maya Bay is one of the most popular attractions in Phi Phi Islands. This stunning bay is surrounded by high cliffs on three sides, making it a secluded and picturesque location. The clear turquoise waters are perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and kayaking.
The beach itself is small but beautiful, with soft white sand and crystal-clear water. It’s no wonder that Maya Bay was chosen as the filming location for the movie “The Beach” starring Leonardo DiCaprio.
Visitors can take a boat tour to Maya Bay or rent a kayak to paddle there themselves. It’s important to note that due to its popularity, Maya Bay can get quite crowded during peak tourist season. To avoid the crowds, it’s best to visit early in the morning or late in the afternoon.
While exploring Maya Bay, visitors can also hike up to the viewpoint for an incredible panoramic view of the bay and surrounding islands. The hike takes around 20-30 minutes and is well worth the effort.
Overall, visiting Maya Bay is a must-do activity when in Phi Phi Islands. With its stunning scenery and crystal-clear waters, it’s no wonder why this location has become so popular among tourists from all over the world.
2. Go island hopping
Island hopping is one of the top activities to do in Phi Phi Islands. This activity involves visiting other nearby islands around Phi Phi. The islands are located within a short distance from each other, making it easy to hop from one island to another.
One of the most popular islands to visit while island hopping is Bamboo Island. It is a small island with crystal clear waters and white sandy beaches, perfect for swimming and sunbathing. Another popular island is Mosquito Island, which is famous for its coral reefs and diverse marine life.
Island hopping tours are available throughout the day, and you can choose from half-day or full-day tours depending on your preference. These tours usually include visits to multiple islands, snorkeling stops, and lunch on board.
The best way to experience island hopping is by taking a long-tail boat tour. These boats are traditional Thai boats that have been used for centuries for fishing and transportation. They have a unique design that allows them to navigate through shallow waters and reach secluded beaches.
Make sure to bring your sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, and camera when going on an island hopping tour. You will be exposed to the sun for a long time during the day, so it’s important to protect your skin from sunburns.
In conclusion, island hopping is an exciting adventure that allows you to explore the beauty of Phi Phi Islands beyond the main island. It’s an activity that everyone should try at least once during their stay in Phi Phi Islands!
3. Snorkeling and Diving
Phi Phi Islands is a great destination for those who love to explore the underwater world. The crystal-clear waters of the Andaman Sea offer some of the best snorkeling and diving opportunities in Thailand. Here are some top spots for snorkeling and diving in Phi Phi Islands:
- Hin Muang and Hin Daeng: These two dive sites are located south of Phi Phi Islands and are known for their colorful coral reefs, schools of fish, and sightings of whale sharks.
- Bida Nok: This dive site is located on the southwest side of Phi Phi Leh Island and offers a chance to see leopard sharks, blacktip reef sharks, and barracudas.
- Shark Point: As the name suggests, this dive site is known for its sightings of leopard sharks as well as other marine life such as seahorses, octopuses, and moray eels.
- Koh Doc Mai: This limestone island is located east of Phuket but can be reached from Phi Phi Islands by boat. It offers some challenging dives with strong currents but rewards divers with sightings of nudibranchs, sea snakes, and schools of fish.
If you’re not a certified diver or don’t feel comfortable going deep underwater, snorkeling is also a great option in Phi Phi Islands. Some popular snorkeling spots include:
- Loh Samah Bay: This bay on the east side of Phi Phi Leh Island offers calm waters and shallow reefs with plenty of colorful fish.
- Phi Phi Shark Point: Don’t worry, there are no dangerous sharks here! This spot on the north end of Bamboo Island offers a chance to swim with harmless blacktip reef sharks.
- Bamboo Island: This small island has a beautiful beach and clear waters perfect for snorkeling around coral reefs.
Whether you choose to go diving or snorkeling in Phi Phi Islands, make sure to follow responsible tourism practices and respect the marine environment.
4. Visit Monkey Beach
Monkey Beach is a popular destination in Phi Phi Islands that is known for its playful primates. Located on the southwestern tip of Tonsai Bay, it is accessible only by boat. The beach got its name from the macaques that inhabit the area and are unafraid of humans.
Visitors can take a long-tail boat or speedboat to reach Monkey Beach. It is recommended to hire a local guide who will ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable experience with the monkeys. Once you arrive at the beach, you will be greeted by these friendly creatures who love to interact with tourists.
It’s important to note that while the monkeys may seem cute and harmless, they are still wild animals and should be treated with respect. Visitors should avoid feeding them as this can cause them to become aggressive or dependent on human food.
Aside from interacting with the monkeys, visitors can also enjoy swimming in the clear blue waters or simply lounging on the soft sand. The beach offers stunning views of limestone cliffs and lush greenery, making it an ideal spot for photography enthusiasts.
Overall, visiting Monkey Beach is a unique and unforgettable experience for anyone traveling to Phi Phi Islands. Just remember to respect nature and wildlife while enjoying all that this beautiful destination has to offer.
5. Experience nightlife in Tonsai Village
Tonsai Village is the main hub of Phi Phi Islands and is known for its vibrant nightlife. The village has a plethora of bars, restaurants, and clubs that cater to different tastes and preferences.
One of the most popular spots in Tonsai Village is the Reggae Bar, which offers live music performances every night. Visitors can also enjoy Muay Thai boxing matches while sipping on cocktails. Another bar that’s worth checking out is the Slinky Bar, which features fire shows and DJs playing electronic dance music until dawn.
For those who prefer a more laid-back atmosphere, there are plenty of beach bars where you can relax with a drink in hand while watching the sunset. One such bar is Hippies Bar, located on Loh Dalum Beach. It’s a great place to unwind after a day of exploring the island.
If you’re looking for something more upscale, head over to Carlito’s Beach Bar & Nightclub. This venue offers a luxurious setting with stunning views of the ocean. It’s perfect for those who want to dance the night away in style.
Overall, Tonsai Village offers something for everyone when it comes to nightlife. Whether you’re looking for live music, fire shows or just a relaxing drink by the beach, you’re sure to find it here. Just be sure to pace yourself as things tend to get wild as the night goes on!
6. Try Thai Food at Local Restaurants
Thai food is famous worldwide for its unique blend of flavors and spices. When visiting Phi Phi Islands, trying the local Thai cuisine at the restaurants is a must-do activity. The island has a wide range of restaurants that offer authentic Thai dishes, from street food stalls to high-end dining establishments.
One of the most popular dishes in Thailand is Pad Thai, a stir-fried noodle dish with vegetables, peanuts, and your choice of protein. Another classic dish is Tom Yum soup, which is a spicy and sour soup made with lemongrass, chili peppers, and shrimp or chicken. For those who enjoy spicy food, Green Curry is a great option as it contains coconut milk and green curry paste with your choice of meat or vegetables.
Apart from these popular dishes, there are many other dishes that you can try on the island such as Massaman Curry, Papaya Salad (Som Tum), Mango Sticky Rice, and Fried Rice (Khao Pad). Most restaurants also offer vegetarian options for those who prefer plant-based meals.
To get an authentic experience of Thai cuisine on Phi Phi Island, it’s recommended to visit local restaurants in Tonsai Village. These restaurants serve delicious Thai food at reasonable prices. Some popular local restaurants include AC2 Restaurant & Bar, P.P. Nice Food Restaurant, and Papaya Restaurant.
In conclusion, trying Thai food at local restaurants should be on every traveler’s bucket list when visiting Phi Phi Islands. With so many options available on the island ranging from street food stalls to upscale dining establishments offering authentic Thai cuisine at reasonable prices – there’s something for everyone!
7. Relax on the Beaches
Phi Phi Islands is a paradise for beach lovers. With crystal clear waters and white sandy beaches, it’s the perfect destination to relax and unwind. Here are some of the best beaches to visit in Phi Phi Islands:
- Long Beach: As the name suggests, Long Beach is a long stretch of white sand that offers plenty of space to relax and soak up the sun. The water is shallow and calm, making it perfect for swimming.
- Loh Dalum Bay: This bay is located near Tonsai Village, and it’s one of the most popular spots on the island. With its turquoise waters and stunning views, Loh Dalum Bay is an ideal place to chill out and enjoy the scenery.
- Bamboo Island: Bamboo Island is a small island located just a short boat ride away from Phi Phi Don. The beach here is pristine, with soft sand and crystal clear water that’s perfect for snorkeling.
- Laem Tong Beach: Laem Tong Beach is located on the northern tip of Phi Phi Don, and it’s known for its peaceful atmosphere and beautiful scenery. It’s also a great spot for snorkeling as there are plenty of coral reefs nearby.
- Nui Bay: Nui Bay is a secluded beach that can only be reached by boat or by hiking through the jungle. It’s worth the effort though, as this hidden gem offers stunning views and crystal clear water that’s perfect for swimming.
No matter which beach you choose to visit in Phi Phi Islands, make sure you take some time to relax and enjoy all that this beautiful destination has to offer!
In conclusion, Phi Phi Islands offer a plethora of activities for tourists to enjoy. From exploring the stunning Maya Bay to island hopping and snorkeling, there’s never a dull moment in this paradise. The charming Monkey Beach is also worth visiting for its playful inhabitants, while Tonsai Village offers a vibrant nightlife scene that will keep you entertained until the wee hours of the morning.
And let’s not forget about the delicious Thai food served at local restaurants, which is a must-try for any visitor. But if all you want is to kick back and relax, the beaches are the perfect spot to soak up some sun and enjoy the tranquil atmosphere. No matter what your interests are, Phi Phi Islands have something for everyone. So pack your bags and get ready to experience one of Thailand’s most beloved destinations!